Thursday, June 27, 2002

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-02/msg00895.html java bytecode considered bad
To:
Subject: java bytecode considered bad
From: Trent Waddington
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:19:22 1000 (GMT 1000)




Following is a dialog I have had with RMS over the last few weeks. The
skinny of it is that RMS thinks having gcc both generate and accept as an
input java bytecode allows folks to do nasty proprietary things with gcc
so he's not interested in the backend for the jvm which I wrote 18 months
ago (and doesn't think anyone else should be). I have tried to explain
that java bytecode (especially the stuff I generate) is not a good
intermediate language... I'll let the list handle it.

------------

>From s337240@student.uq.edu.au Wed Feb 21 03:11:22 2001
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:00:02 1000 (GMT 1000)
From: Trent Waddington
To: rms@ai.mit.edu
Subject: java backend

Hi. I dont know if you remember me but I worked on a java bytecode
backend to gcc which was released early last year. At the time I was
instructed that it would be impossible to get the copyright on the backend
assigned to the FSF. I would like to try again to obtain the copyright
assignment as the ownership of this code is no longer a priority to the
university that I was working for at the time. As far as I know gcc does
n

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home