Monday, March 11, 2002

[Mono-list] GCC front-end? > On the roadmap, it seems to imply that y'all are working on a
> completely new "JIT" compiler for the CLI. I'm curious about why this
> is a better plan than writing a Gcc front-end for CLI bytecode.

I've been seriously thinking about doing that for quite a while now; since
long before Mono was announced. Technically I think it is a very good idea.

The main drawback, from my perspective, is that doing so would increase
the acceptance of .NET, which would be good for Microsoft, which would
increase world-wide income inequity, and concentrate too much power in
the hands of too few, and that would be bad.

I remember when I first heard of C ; it was from Bell Labs, same place
as C, and it had some nice technical improvements to C. But it was a
new language, and it didn't have the same degree of vendor support that
C had. Was it really worth writing code in this new language?
I first became convinced that C would become popular when I heard
that there was a GNU C implementation. The existence of a free
software implementation can be quite important to people's decisions
as to whether or not to adopt a particular piece of technology.