Thursday, June 27, 2002

Converting the gcc backend to a library? Converting the gcc backend to a library?
To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
Subject: Converting the gcc backend to a library?
From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 19:53:37 0100
Reply-to: Mikael Djurfeldt



I'm interested in writing an interpreter which incrementally compiles
functions and loads them into the process, i.e. an interactive
development environment which still can execute code efficiently.

I'd like to write a front-end which transforms the source language
into RTL, calls the backend to produce object code, and loads it.

That is, I'd like to link my interpreter with the gcc backend.

Is there any work going on to convert the gcc backend to a library?
How difficult would this be?

If it requires reasonable amount of work, I'd be prepared to provide a
helping hand. Is this something which the gcc development team could
imagine include into the gcc distribution?

[I've just joined the gcc list, so I'm not sure how out-of-context I
am when asking this question.]

Best regards,
/mdj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home